Note in above codes you ca

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

27-Year-Old Woman Whose Hands Were Chopped Off By Her Husband

The news of a Kenyan woman, Jackline Mwende whose
hands was chopped off is making headlines as people are
reacting to one the most heinous acts of domestic violence.
According to a report by The Nation Kenya , 27-year-old
Mwende had her hands cut off by her husband, Stephen
Ngila Nthenge who said it was a punishment for her not
being able to get pregnant after seven years of marriage.
Nthenge was also alleged to have inflicted serious injuries
on his wife’s face.
Narrating the incident, Mwende, a shopkeeper said:
“ I could not understand why he was blaming
me yet we had gone to hospital last year and the
doctors had said he was the one with issues,
which could be corrected. He moved out of our
house three months ago and came back on
Sunday (July 24) at around 8.30pm. When I
opened the door, he said, ‘today is your last day’
and started slashing me with the panga

As he was inflicting injuries on me, I cried and
called for help but he fled before neighbours
arrived. They were all afraid of touching me, they
thought I was dead. I was rushed to Machakos
Hospital where I was given painkillers and got a
blood transfusion. I was discharged on Friday.
Ms Mwende met Mr Ngila, a tailor, shortly after finishing
Standard Eight in Kathama Primary School, Machakos
County, in 2010, and she says it was love at first sight. She
described her husband as a “kind and God-fearing” man.
‘ “He taught me how to make dresses and clothes.
We fell in love during this time and we had a
church wedding three months later,” she said.
“But he gradually became violent and a drunk. He
spent more time in Masii town and would come
back late at night, drunk and violent. He also
chewed miraa. When he attacked me on Sunday,
he was drunk. But I stayed because I wanted to
save the marriage and my home.”
Pastor Patrick Kioko of Masii District SDA church, who was
the couple’s best man on Monday told Nation Kenya that the
marriage between Ms Mwende and Mr Ngila had been rosy
at the beginning but things started changing towards the
end of last year.
“It seemed there was hope for reconciliation but the man was
not ready to mend the union. In fact, he even moved out and
rented a room in Masii town.”
He said Mwende was afraid “to be seen as the one who broke
her marriage”.
This was escalated to a church hearing because the issues
seemed unresolved and the couple was urged to settle their
differences and save their marriage.
“But we noticed the man was determined to leave. So it was
agreed that they live in peace in their separate homes and ask
the courts to dissolve the marriage. Because, as a church, we
don’t end marriages.”
He said the church was planning to bring them together but then
the attack happened.
“We were shocked how it turned out even after all the effort we
put in. Anger is dangerous in a union and this is something we
all should learn from. ”
Meanwhile, Stephen Ngila has been charged with attempted
murder of his wife. He appeared before Wamunyu Law
Court Resident Magistrate K. Kibellion. He denied the
charges and was sent to the Machakos GK remand until
August 5. He was also denied bond until the same date
when the court will rule on the issue

No comments:

Post a Comment